Become a Real Estate Professional
A real estate professional, or sales agent, is someone who is licensed by the Real Estate Commission to act as an agent on behalf of a real estate broker and their clients. A sales agent must be sponsored by a licensed Broker in order to perform any act of real estate services.
- Citizen of the United States or lawfully admitted alien
- 18 years of age or older
- Meet TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity
- Consider requesting a Fitness Determination before applying for the license
You have one year from the date your application is filed to meet all the license requirements below. Check the status of your application using the Application Status Tracker.
1. File Your Application
2. Get Your Fingerprints Taken & Pass Background Check
You are required by law to have fingerprints on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so a background check can be performed. Fingerprints on file for other agencies will not be accepted.
A license will not issue if the background check has not been passed. Expect a delay if you are notified of an investigation into your background history.
3. Submit Your Qualifying Education
180 classroom hours of the following qualifying real estate courses:
- Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contract Forms (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
Find a qualifying education provider (see our preferred provider below). Submit your course completion documents to TREC after applying online or with your paper application. After completing your course work, you are welcome to submit a course and instructor evaluation.
If you completed any of the above qualifying real estate courses through an accredited college/university for academic credit, submit a transcript for evaluation.
4. Take The Exam
License exams are administered by PearsonVUE, a testing service company.
You will be sent a notice with instructions for scheduling the exam and obtaining a copy of the exam Candidate Handbook.
If you fail the exam three times, additional education will be necessary.
5. Find A Sponsor
After meeting the above requirements, you will be issued an inactive license. You need to be sponsored by an active Texas licensed broker to work. You can complete a sponsorship request using our online services. Once the broker has accepted your request, your active license will be issued, and you can work as a Sales Agent!
We’d love to chat with you ONE-on-ONE! Click here to schedule a meeting.
We'd love to chat with you ONE-on-ONE!
We can meet you in person at the South Austin or Buda office, or meet via Zoom!
When it comes to your education, only the best is acceptable.
We’ve partnered with The CE Shop to provide you access to the industry leaders in real estate Pre-Licensing education. Their Exam Prep study program and other career resources are proven to help you pass the real estate licensing exam and get you on your way to starting a successful career in real estate.
What You Get with The CE Shop Pre-Licensing Courses & Exam Prep Edge:
- Industry-Leading Pass Rates
- Customer Support 7 Days a Week via Phone, Chat, and Email
- Mobile-Friendly Courses, Available Anytime, Anywhere
- Real Estate Education with a 97% Course Satisfaction Rate
HOW TO ENROLL
- Visit the following website: RealtyONEGroupProsper.TheCEShop.com
- Select Your Course Package and proceed to checkout.
- Don’t forget to use PROMO CODE: RE25 to save 25% at checkout!